Game-U’s First Virtual Showcase!
Game-U’s staff and students celebrated their very first Virtual Showcase, marking the end of the Fighters & Brawlers Unit, with aplomb – and no fewer than seventy attendees!
With awards such as Crowd Favorite, Instructor’s Choice, Most Original Art, and Most Original Game in the running, as well as first-ever class categories like Art and Creative Writing, the nominated Presenters hopped on the Zoom call early on the 14th to set up camp in their own personal breakout rooms, do demos, and show off their masterpieces! These exceptional students included:
- Adventurers Ibongo K. and Samara K. with their amazing Fighter projects, made in Tynker (check them out here and here!)
- Explorers Jacob A., Maya T., and Adrianna H.
- Pioneers Dominic D., Vikram P., writer Alex D., Elijah F. with his art collection, and Gabriel K.
- Voyager and newly minted Pro.Coder Koah W. and his amazing portfolio of games; Matthew M., Voyager and faithful long-time Game-U student
- Game Dev Team members Adam L., Mark N., and Cole P. with their BomBlox masterpiece
Attendees – friends, families, classmates, and more! – arrived at 6 PM, ready to play-test the games, talk to the Presenters, and vote on their choice of game and artwork. Meanwhile, Game-U instructors floated among different breakout rooms, assisting, taking pictures and videos, and sometimes just being moral support for their nervous students!
At ten minutes before 7, instructors conferred amongst themselves and selected the recipients of the Instructor’s Choice and Most Original Game achievements! A lot of names were mentioned, with a lot of impressive accomplishments attached – it was one of the hardest selections they’ve had to make yet!
At 7 PM, voting concluded – and it was time to hear the winners. Drumroll please – one Winners’ List, coming right up!
- Vikram P. carried away the Most Original Game award – like a champ! Check out his work here!
- Adrianna H. and her Fighter game got the coveted Crowd Favorite!
- Noah F. swooped in for the win for Instructor’s Choice, for his awesome art techniques! Take a look at his portfolio here!
- And last but not least, Connor D. won Most Original Art for his Fighter game!
Congratulations to all the Fighters & Brawlers 2020 Showcase presenters and winners! We’re all proud of everything you learned and accomplished during this unit. Keep up the great work as we move onto new games and ever upward!